Ar10 Caliber Options

I have come across a deal to get my hands on a relatively high-end AR-10. I have been given the option to choose the caliber, barrel length, and twist rate of said rifle. Right now, I am struggling to decide between 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington, and 308 Winchester.

I would like this gun to be a all around “anything” rifle. To have the ability to use it for hunting, defense, and long range/ close up paper killer.

I reload my ammunition, so ammo availability and cost are not really a limiting factor, but I do like it when my components are not hard to find.

Any and all input is wanted and welcome, i am open to other options as well.

I cant comment on the 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Remington as I have never shot either (I did a lot of research though and the 6.5 has better ballistics for longer ranges past 500 yds) but I just finished a 308 Winchester build using relatively high end parts and was able to ring the steel consistently out to 600 yards (that’s as far as the range went) and was leaving small divots in the steel at that range. At closer ranges 200 to 300 the divots were visible to the naked eye, so I would assume the stopping power of the 308 Winchester is a bit higher. As far as accuracy I was shooting 1/2 moa at 100 yds all day long and at 400 yds it only spread to between 3/4 and 1. As far as availability 308 Winchester is the easiest (and least expensive) to find. Hope my experience (or lack of) helps.

Since you’re a reloader, I’m tempted to recommend 6.5 Creedmoor. It is a phenomenal cartridge that out performs .308 in a lot of ways. BUT you mentioned wanting a true all-around build and I’ve been really impressed with some shorter barreled (like 16 inches) .308 builds. Plus, if shit hits the fan and you do need to scavenge for ammo, 308 will be more readily available. I know that isn’t a definitive recommendation one way or the other but those are my thoughts. Either way I’m sure it’ll be a very nice build. Please post pics and specs when its done.

6.5 creedmoor…shooting it recently for the first time…i cannot stress the overwhelming realization that it is the future. really an incredible shooting experience.

to me right now the absolute perfect gun is going to be a KAC SR-25 in 6.5…Not buying anything else gun related until after that expenditure.

were you next to me when dudes were talking about being exited for 16" 6.5 Creedmoors?

I really like the 260 rem. I have been going threw the same thought process of what to build. I have a 308 economy build. I just like the .264 caliber over any other. I want a 24 inch Wilson Combat barrel and that is my thought on what to build. any of the 3 would be a good choice.