What's the deal with .223 Wylde?

Hey everyone. I’m new to the AR world and I’m working on building my first one right now. I’ve been looking at barrel options and the Wylde chamber chambering keeps coming up but I don’t know much about it and was hoping one of you guys could help shed some light on it. I’ve already done my research on the difference between .223 rem and 5.56 and I tried to look for more info on the Wylde but maybe I was just looking in the wrong places. I couldn’t find a good answer. So what is the difference in the Wylde compared to the other 2 chamberings previously mentioned? Will it accurately shoot both .223 and 5.56 without issues? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Has a tighter chamber than 5.56 so better accuracy and still shoots .223/5.56

Thanks! That is exactly the straightforward answer I was looking for. So it’s basically the best of both worlds? Does it have any issues with the higher pressures of the 5.56?

No it will save you from distressing your barrel.
We have all our 223 & 556 mixed… As of now, I wouldn’t go with anything but a Wylde.

Odin makes a ultralite that so far through comparison is the best deal. 18oz for about $250 for a 16 inch!

It’s the accuracy of a .223 and the pressure of a 5.56. The best of both. I’ve got two of them in my builds and it’s great not worrying whether or not I’m gonna tear something apart.

.223 wylde is the way to go. It is little more expensive. You can run .223 through a 556 and you probably wouldnt notice a dofference. A 556 barrel is cheaper and easier to find. Just depends on how much you shoot, how serious you are about accuracy, and how much youre willing to spend. Personally, i always run a wylde.

I’ve seen a number of people complaining of stuck cases on the wylde, when shooting steel cased ammo. It’s easy to believe with the tighter chamber. Can anyone comment/speculate on this? I’m not a fan of steel cased ammo anyhow, but if someone is planning on using it, this may be something to consider?

From what I gather steel is harder on everything, so we stick with brass.

Ditto, and I would hope that anyone building a precision rifle would not be inclined to use cheap ammo. BUT…

Thanks everyone for all the good info. I pulled the trigger and bought an 18" wylde barrel from aero precision.

Good call. Let us know how you like it.

My wylde chamber will not shoot the steel cases

The difference is in the angle of the throat. The wydle chamber splits the difference between 5.56 and .223. The end result is the pressure generosity of the 5.56 and the accuracy of the .223. The wydle chamber with a match twist is considered by most experts to be ideal.

closed #15